Mi Band was the most popular fitness tracker in the world. Following the Mi Band, Mi Band Pulse was introduced by Xiaomi. The Mi Band Pulse never made it to India. But now we have a whole new version of the Mi Band. The Mi Band 2 has been announced in India and it is priced at Rs 1999. The reason for the success of the Mi Band was its value for money, compactness and impressive battery life. Now the Mi Band 2 inherits all of this along with heart rate sensor from Mi Band Pulse and a Display.
What is a Dashcam?
A Dashcam is like an action camera, but it is powered by your car battery. It is mounted on the car with its lens facing outside the car. It is usually mounted on the front and some have it on the rear as well. It records video footage of your car trip and stores it. It is useful to serve as an evidence incase of accident or any untoward incident. It can also be used to record a beautiful drive. There are multiple variants of dashcam with varied form-factor and features. Some record audio and also store GPS co-ordinates along with the video footage.
Buying any insurance needs your full attention. If you go by the advertisements or the sugar coated words of the salesperson, you are in deep trouble. Mobile insurance is a new concept in India. With the rising cost of mobile, the risks of damaging or loosing the mobile is also increasing. So naturally everyone who invests in an expensive mobile, would want to stretch a bit and pay for the insurance. Buying an insurance for the mobile should give solace to the anxious mind with an assurance that the purchase is protected from accidental damage or loss. Unfortunately it is not as simple as that and let me explain why.
A couple of years ago, I got my brother a Xiaomi Mi3 from Flipkart. Xiaomi was new to India and they did not have any sort of insurance plan to go with the purchase. A few months later, I happen to visit the Xiaomi service center in Indira nagar.
— Jai Mani (@jaimani) June 1, 2015
The service guy after helping me out with my issue with a Redmi 1s, wanted to up-sell an insurance plan. I did not read the documents and it was not a very expensive plan. It promised to protect the mobile from accidental damage, broken display or even theft. So I got the plan for my Redmi 1s and also got it for my brother’s Mi3. It was a third party insurance company (TPA) called OneAssist and the plans they had for Xiaomi mobiles were called Mi Assist. I also misunderstood that it was an official plan from Xiaomi.
A few weeks ago, my brother was travelling in a Sleeper bus. He stored the mobile in his pocket and went to sleep. When he alighted from the bus, the next day morning, he found out that the display has cracked and it was not working. So we decided to claim the insurance and submitted all necessary documents. After weeks of following and submitting,resubmitting documents finally I got a call from OneAssist.
The person at the other end informed me that the case has been rejected by the insurance company on the grounds of “willful negligence”.We had stated the truth in the written statement while claiming the insurance. But found out that the truth was used against us. Naturally, I was not happy with the way things went and I started digging for more information. Here is the official communication from OneAssist.
Insured has stored the handset incorrect inside his pants pocket & slept off in the sleeper bus, thus indicating negligent handling on the account of user. As such it has resulted dint damage of the handset.
“Exclusion 10 – Loss or damage caused by incorrect storage, poor maintenance, willful negligence, incorrect installation, incorrect set. up, Improper handling, dismantling, fitting adjustment, repair alteration or modification not approved by the makers/manufacturers and / or the agents of makers/manufacturers or use of such property contrary to the directives of the makers/manufacturers and/or this agents unless the authorized Service Centre representative would confirm otherwise with due substantiation.”
My brother has kept the mobile safely in his pocket. If he had kept it near him, it may have been stolen easily. If he had put it in his bag and his bag was stolen, he would have been stranded. I am sure any of you travelling on a public transport would keep your mobile in your pocket.
So what is “Willful Negligence” and how it is used by Insurance companies as a blanket weapon against you.
Willful Negligence. Intentional performance of an unreasonable act in disregard of a known risk, making it highly probable that harm will be caused. Willful negligence usually involves a conscious indifference to the consequences.
– quotes from dictionary
Here are the few reasons that the insurance company would reject your claim and some counter suggestions for writing your claim story. While writing the claim story, make sure you follow the suggestions here.
- Loss or damage to the Gadget due to mysterious circumstances / disappearance or unexplained reasons.
- The term mystery is being used here. So make sure that you are sure about the story. You must never tell that “you are not sure what happened”.
- Loss of Gadget resulting from or caused by theft, or attempted theft from unlocked vehicles or rooms.
- So basically theft is not covered. If you are pick pocketed or if you loose your mobile in a public area, make sure that you inform the case with the police and get an acknowledgement. (No FIR will be written for a lost mobile). Draft your story to look like you struggled to protect the mobile at any cause and still the thief managed to run away with the mobile. Never tell that you were careless or the mobile was lifted without your knowledge.
- I have never heard of an instance where a thief breaks locks to lift a mobile. So if you leave your mobile in your car or bike and it was stolen, be sure to tell them that the lock was picked and the mobile was stolen. At any cause, don’t reveal your carelessness.
- Consequential loss of any kind or description.
- Now this is very tricky. Let us assume that you have kept your mobile in your bike and it was stolen along with the bike, that is considered as consequential loss. One loss resulting in a collateral loss is called consequential loss. Make two separate claims and don’t link the loss in your story.
- Loss or damage caused by incorrect storage, poor maintenance, wilful negligence, incorrect installation, incorrect set-up, unless the authorized Service Center representative would confirm otherwise with due substantiation.
- That is the ground on which my insurance was rejected. The rules are the same. Never reveal the fact (or not) that the damage or loss was out of bounds from your control. Write a story that would say that you took utmost care of the device and yet the damage or loss happened.
- If your kid dropped your mobile and broke it, don’t tell them. If your mobile fell out of your pocket while in your home, office or road, don’t tell them that. Maybe you can them that you were holding on to the mobile carefully and someone came from behind and knocked it to the floor and it broke.
- Never tell them that the mobile was damaged during travel or while driving.
- Any type of self-repair or attempted self-repair.
- This happens with most power users. If you try to root your device, you may end up bricking it. Now try your level best to fix it yourself. There are loads of ways to unbrick your mobile. If you still want to claim an insurance for this act, weave a strong story before calling that toll free line.
- Mechanical or Electrical Breakdown or electronic derangement or malfunction unless caused by an external accidental means or liquid. Cost of Replacement of Battery unless caused by an accidental or liquid damage to the Gadget. Any damage or loss occasioned from any water borne craft, unless such damage is caused by the accidental ingress of liquid/water, and if the Subscriber has taken reasonable care to protect the Gadget from damage.
- This means that any damage or loss due to liquid is not covered. The service personal can easily identify liquid damage by looking for salt deposit in the motherboard. So if you want to mask it, get the internals cleaned by a trained personal, before trying to get a claim on that.
- Any instance where you are not a resident of India at the time that the Theft or Damage occurred.
- Make sure you weave a story that involves you being in India and being near the device during the loss or damage.
There are many such carefully worded and disguised statement with multiple levels of meaning and like a game of chess, you have analyze the next move by the insurance company based on your first move, which is the claim statement. So read them all before
The underlying statement is, never let know that you were careless. Accidental is different from careless. So make sure you make them believe that it was pure accident although you were as careful as an hawk. Never bring the travel element in the story. Remember, that the venue of the story must always be within the four walls. Keep
Following these precautions while applying for a claim, may not guarantee that the claim will be honored. It will simply give you a better chance.
Insurance is a subject matter of solicitation and read the offer documents carefully.
Better still is not to buy an insurance plan for your mobile. With that money, buy a good screen guard and a protective case for your mobile. Save the money and save the headache of dealing with insurance companies.
Also read: How I lost and found a mobile.
I have also noticed that claiming loss or damage of an Apple iPhone is a smoother process in India. I am not suggesting you to buy an iPhone, just telling that if you are willing to spend half a lakh on a mobile, you must first assess your carefulness. If you are butter fingers like me, better …
It has been a while since Xiaomi announced a mobile in India. Xiaomi has a huge fan base in India. Xiaomi launched the Redmi 3 and Mi Pad a few weeks earlier and it was announced only in China. The Mi Note and Mi Note pro were launched a while ago and there are no signs of their availability in India. The recently launched Redmi Note 2 also may not make it to India because of legal issues. While the Indian fan base is eagerly waiting for these devices to be available, Xiaomi today announced the Redmi Note Prime.
The Redmi Note Prime is an upgrade to the exisiting Redmi Note 4G in India. The Note Prime is second mobile that will be “Made in India” after Redmi 2 Prime. The Note 4G may not be along the likes of Mi Note or Redmi 3 that we are eagerly expecting. For those who are looking to buy a decent 4G device at an affordable price point, the Redmi Note is a good choice. But it has been a while since the mobile was made available in India and the Redmi Note Prime refreshed the Redmi Note in India. It is priced at Rs 8499 and will be available through Amazon and Mi.com website on open sale, till stocks last.
The Redmi Note Prime has dual SIM slots, 2GB of RAM, 16 GB of internal storage and a better processor Snapdragon 415, compared to the Note 4G. Rest of the specs are all the same and you can compare it below.
[pearl_csv_to_webpage_display filename = noteprime.csv]
Xiaomi launched the Mi4i smartphone in India back in April for Rs. 12,999. Today, the company, announced first permanent price cut for the this smartphone. The phone, which launched at a price of Rs 12,999, will be now available for Rs 11,999. The Mi4i will be available from Mi.com/in at this new price starting from 00:00hrs on 18th November 2015, as well as across all Mi India partners including Flipkart, Amazon, Snapdeal, The Mobile Store and Airtel.
To remind you, it has a 5 inch Full HD display. It is powered by an Octa Core Snadpragon 615 processor and runs on MIUI v6 on top of Android 5.0 . It has a 13 megapixel rear camera and a 5 megapixel front facing camera.
Xiaomi Mi4i Specs
- Display : 5 inch Full HD
- Processor : Octa Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 615
- Storage : 2GB RAM with 16GB internal memory
- OS : Android 5.0
- Rear Camera : 13MP
- Front Camera : 5MP
- Battery : 3120mAh
If you need to check if the Mi4i is the right mobile for you, you can check our review here and also you can check the detailed review on the camera here. It has got an excellent camera like most other Xiaomi devices. Buyers who are looking to buy a sub 10k mobile may not extend and get the Mi4i, but if you are specifically looking to buy the Mi4i, you will be more than happy on this price cut. There is no price cut on the 32 GB variant as of now. Xiaomi has done price cuts in the past with Mi4 and Redmi Note, but more than the price cuts we would be happy if Xiaomi bring in the rest of the cavalry into India.
Xiaomi has also recently introduced “Mi Protect” insurance plans for its devices in India. The Mi Protect service will be available for those Xiaomi phones and tablets only which are purchased from Mi.com/in. The Mi Protect plans will be covering accidental and liquid damage caused to the device. The Mi Protect plan will come with other features like 24×7 call centre support for the subscribers to report damages, free pick-up and drop-off services, 1GB of cloud storage feature, SIM misuse insurance cover of up to Rs 3,000, one call to block SIM from anywhere in the
world. The buyers will also be getting the second servicing for free within one year of activation.
The insurance plans are starting from Rs. 275 for Redmi 2 and Redmi 2 Prime , while its Rs. 499 for devices like Xiaomi Mi 4i , Mi Pad and the Mi 4 16GB . The Full pricing plans and terms and conditions can be checked from company’s official website. So with an additional Rs 499, the Mi4i deal just got sweeter!